I've been running workshops for primary and secondary school children, teachers, undergraduate and postgraduate students for more than twenty years. I use natural history as the jumping off point of all sorts of writing - most often poetry - but also creative non fiction and fiction.
Workshops are tailored to the needs of each group. Typically I work with with groups of 15 to 25, or class-sized groups of around 30, working with each one for an hour or hour and a half and meeting three to four different groups in one day.
I can also do interactive talks about zoology and writing for much larger, school-hall-sized groups, or run day long workshops for small groups.
Contact me if you would like to talk to me about visting your school. I will discuss with you what type of workshop/ talk you would like for your children, and what you are expecting them to get from the experience of working with a writer in school.
Some recent school visits 2013-2014 and beyond
- Abedare High School. A week of workshops for year six feeder schools, mixing children and animal skulls on loan from the national Museum of Wales. Crocodile skull particularly popular.
- McNulty Academy and other wonderful schools in upstate New York. Some of the best school visits EVER. Great libraries, great librarians and kids with more energy than rocket fuel.
- International Schools in Lilongwe and Blantyre, Malawi. Warmest of welcomes and all sorts of wonderful writing from students from reception to high school.
- Wrexham Library working with children from North Wales, where Denbishire has a record of reading and writing excellence.
- West Sussex to talk to children about Rubbish Town Hero, shortlisted for the West Sussex BooK Prize. Lovely children, full of enthusiasm for books and reading.
- KICS Khartoum International School a never to be forgotten week in a school with an inspiring sense of community. I got to work with everybody from 3 to 18... and even the parents!
- Addis Ababa International School another unforgettable week of welcome and enthusiasm. Honoured to find so many readers in the unofficial capital of Africa.
- Hackney, London. A residency in two completely inspiring schools, Orchard and Southwold Primaries. Fantastic professional committed staff whose success with children shows everywhere in school.
- Adopt an Author as part of the Brighton Festival children from Rudyward Kipling school now now ALL there is to know about Manatees!
- Also work with Illustration students at Swansea Met and Arts University of Bournmouth. Gigs at festivals - Edinburgh, Cheltenham, Hay, Cardiff and Bestival.
- Events with books shops in Cirencester, Bath, Crickhowell, Monmouth...
Coming up in 2014-15
- Work in schools in Pembrokeshire, Denbishire, Portsmouth, Gloucestershire
- A tour with Scottish Book trust in the Autumn
- Back to my LOVELY friends in upper New York State and to make more friends in Boston (with a little detour of my own to Montreal and Halifax in Canada).
- Oman to the International School and maybe to international school in Cairo